Tuesday, June 23, 2009

surf school 40

SOLVED] can only surf one site on 7.10
Hello,
I've installed 7.10 on a brand new computer.
It has an onboard wired lan which i'm using.

I've discoverd that I can only surf to:

http://www.mozilla.com/products/firefox/central.html

and related,

All other sites are stuck at "waiting for".
That indicates, I belive, that the sites are found.
Also each time I enter the name of a site I can see network activity on the system monitor, but just a few on all other sites.

I've looked into the stuff about ipv6 and never it was more dead than on this machine.
Also i've changed my dns, I don't think it's that.

Many thanks,

A broken link will not be given as a prize to the proud solver of this enigma.
blingo is offline Reply With Quote
blingo
View Public Profile
Send a private message to blingo
Find More Posts by blingo
Old October 31st, 2007 #2
johnl
Gee! These Aren't Roasted!

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Beans: 161
Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: can only surf one site on 7.10
To completely rule out DNS problems, have you tried visiting a site by ip address? for example, http://72.14.207.99/ should take you to google.com. You can also test DNS resolution on the command line using the command "resolveip example.com" to see what address your DNS is mapping example.com to.
__________________
Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules – and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.
johnl is offline Reply With Quote
johnl
View Public Profile
Send a private message to johnl
Find More Posts by johnl
Old October 31st, 2007 #3
blingo
Just Give Me the Beans!

Join Date: Oct 2007
Beans: 61

Re: can only surf one site on 7.10
it still waits:
waiting for 72.14.207.99...

I hope to install resolveip as soon as I'll have an internet connection
blingo is offline Reply With Quote
blingo
View Public Profile
Send a private message to blingo
Find More Posts by blingo
Old December 6th, 2007 #4
blingo
Just Give Me the Beans!

Join Date: Oct 2007
Beans: 61

Re: can only surf one site on 7.10
It's been so long, I'll start again.

Hello,
I can only surf to the Mozila web site.

1)I don't think it's DNS becuase when in terminal, if I write ping www.something... it gives me it's IP very fast.

2)I've tried messing with IPV6 before and it made no diffrance. currently I've Reinstalled Ubuntu, and IPV6 is enabled.

The Firefox "finds" the sites, than hangs on "Waiting for...".
Also I'm having trouble with downloading packages, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm surfing throgh a Routher with wires.

It looks much like there's a firewall blocking me. is there a builtin firewall to Ubuntu, and how to stop this?

Also I've tested several other linux distributions (Despite that Ubuntu is my favorite) - all with the same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment